No matter what time of camping you are doing – RVing, tenting, or otherwise – the most critical aspect is spending time outside in the fresh air. But that doesn’t mean that you have to simply spend days staring at the blue skies during the day and stars at night.
For many people, checking out some of the local activities and nature spots are all a part of the experience. Before you book your trip, decide what kind of activities you want to do during your camping downtime.
Top 10 Fun Things to do While Camping
It wasn’t easy narrowing this list down – but these are some of our favorites.
- Hiking. This one just goes with the territory, in our opinion. You are already enjoying nature – why not hike some local trails? Even if there aren’t any rugged hiking trails, necessarily, you can always hike the campsite and walk some local roads at worst. And if you gather some firewood for the night while you’re out and about, it’s a bonus.
- Biking. Whether you brought your bikes or are renting, biking some local trails and bike-friendly roads allows you to see more of the local area – and nature around it – at the same time.
- Fishing. If you are camping in the wilderness, there’s a good chance there is a public lake somewhere nearby. And that also probably means that you have access to a canoe or small boat rental, provided you didn’t bring your boat. But don’t expect to get any fishing tips from the locals.
- Canoeing. If you aren’t looking to land a lunker of a fish, you might enjoy just paddling through some local waters. Canoe rentals are pretty standard in areas that have lakes, rivers, and streams around. And it provides a great way to see nature that you wouldn’t otherwise come across.
- Swimming. As long as you found a lake, is there a public beach you can utilize? Swimming is always a winner with the kids. And a lot of campsites have some sort of body of water within the grounds.
- Roast S’mores. If you have a traditional campfire at night, what better way to enjoy it than also creating some traditional s’mores? The only controversy might be how exactly to roast your s’mores. Some like a pristine marshmallow, while others prefer a nearly-charred gob in between their graham crackers and chocolate. And of course, you have the kids that just eat the chocolate!
- Throw the Frisbee/Play Catch. Whatever your preferred back-and-forth throwing game, being outside is the perfect time to enjoy it with someone you care about. Campgrounds provide some wide-open spaces to stretch out and get some quality throws in. There might even be a frisbee golf course or ballpark in the area or on the grounds to use.
- Play Cards. Some quiet time in the woods sometimes calls for a casual game of cards. They are easy to bring along and can really provide some laughs as time goes by.
- Watch an Outdoor Movie. For some, this goes against the rules of camping. But it’s 2021, and we think it’s okay to enjoy a movie on a long trip. For this to go smoothly, though, you’ll want to ensure that your favorite campground has high-speed Wi-Fi installed throughout the grounds.
- Tell Spooky Stories. Get some imaginative juices flowing and tell some scary stories around the campfire. This is a sure-fire way to create some lasting memories – provided you don’t spook the little ones too much.
That’s our list of the top 10 fun things to do while camping. There are certainly a lot of worthwhile activities that didn’t make our list. Feel free to drop us a line and tell us what we left out!